May 26, 2011

Day 4 Flats Challenge

Flats, Day 4.

What am I doing again? Read the rules here at Dirty Diaper Laundry!

My honest feelings about flats? Just flats? See, you think I'd be used to it. After all, I have maybe 2 cloth diapers that are "modern." But. I also use disposables every now and then. (Maybe that's why I'm using disposables at night...I kinda miss that little convenience during the day!) It's not hard. It's not draining, even. But it isn't super-convenient either. It does help when I've already folded the flat into fourths, simply because all of the folds I use stem from that.

Here are links to some of my favorites:

Origami fold

Simple or Kite fold (I don't use this one yet because it really works better on older babies, but I list it here because it is so often used!)

Corners fold (This one was better when Abby was little. Can't use it much now because my flats aren't big enough!)

Twist fold (I actually do this one in fourths right now...sort of like a prefold's Bikini Twist fold, but this looks like it would last longer for her!)

Here are some more folds you might find interesting:

The Nappy Nanny

Diaper Swappers Forum

Today's main challenge was that we were out again. She ended up in the same diaper for a while, which is easy for me to do since she doesn't complain or leak (for the most part). I find that if I'm not proactive in changing her diapers, she ends up with maybe 5 a day. Not very good when she's sitting in her own urine for hours at a time! I usually catch the poo, so that isn't a factor often. Of course, I can't really do much about naptime or even at night, but during the day, I try to do as much as I can. Even that one extra diaper change can help so much.

Thankfully, I kept up with diapers on Wednesday, so I have only 5 or so that are dirty right now. Meaning that I can easily wait until the morning to wash them again. Ya know, when the sun is shining and all... :) Yay for a small break!

2 comments:

Natural Momma said...

Have you tried using a flat in the origami fold and one flat folded into an insert on top of the pad of the origami fold- for night time instead of a sposie? It works great for us.

I am loving Flats... I am getting rid of all my microfiber inserts for my pockets, even!

Do you think you'll use them again after the challenge?

Jeniffer said...

I can relatively easily pull off a prefold folded into a flat. Or even a stuffed origami fold, as you suggested. I'm just a little lazy. :)

And I adore my flats! Lol! I know it doesn't seem like it, but I really do! I'll definitely be using them after the challenge. They make up 90% of my stash! I have 2 AIO's that I get to use on and off besides my flats. I just like not having to do flats all of the time. Options are nice, even if it's only every now and then. :)